This is a beta version of the strong motion data map.
An interactive, multi-layered map displaying the peak strong motion data that GeoNet collected during the last hour. Select a site to view the PGA (g), PGV (cm/s) and MMI values. Sites are coloured to reflect the level of shaking based on MMI.
Interactive Map showing GeoNet strong motion data
- The maximum horizontal PGA or PGV is taken as the maximum of the two horizontal components.
- A symbol might be absent for the following reasons: 1) no data was received from the site in the last hour, or 2) if the site has been blacklisted due to unacceptable levels of noise.
- These values are calculated in near real-time and can be affected by shaking from non-earthquake sources, such as noise. Please read our disclaimer.
- Changes in metadata can also create anomalous readings. We are working on our change control procedures to reduce the likelihood of this occurring.
- The continuous monitoring of PGA and PGV is based on work by Kanamori et al. (1999)
- The calculations of MMI are based on the method by L. Faenza and A. Michelini (2010)
- GeoNet is working on developing more detailed strong motion data products that will provide access to information for events that are older than an hour. We look forward to providing this in the near future.